Jan 14, 2010

Why I Don't Care That We Can't Afford A Stainless Steel Fridge

My kitchen is ugly, truly hideous and slightly embarrassing.

It's retro in the, "Oh my God, I can't believe that was ever stylish" kind of way. The counters are fake wood. Barf. I tried to make it better by painting the cabinets and replacing the hardware, but with three fellas in the house they have seen better days. At least I have some great finger print samples in case my husband ever goes missing.

One thing I am okay with is our white fridge. I know stainless steel fridges are the 'best' but I don't want one. Why, you ask? It's because of my fridge magnet collection.

Not kidding. It's okay, I don't mind if you laugh at me. I laugh at myself all of the time.


I really, honestly do have a collection of magnets that I started 10 years ago when I moved to Europe for the first time. They were a great little souvenir from all of my trips and now that my life has changed dramatically and I get excited just to leave the damn house, they serve as a great reminder of my former life. I'd like to say they were the only purchase I made on each holiday but I have a few people (like everyone that came to visit us) that will tell you that I sent them home with bags and bags of 'stuff' and very clear instructions for how to store their (my) carry ons without breaking anything.




Each time I open the fridge door, I get a peek at one that sends me back. Like this little gem from our trip to visit friends for Oktoberfest in Munich. I can't actually remember all that much, but luckily we have video, right honey?  Looooots and lots of video. Of you. Not being able to lift your head.

I have more magnets. They used to be on the fridge too but someone broke them by accident and they now live here. Just until they get fixed.



We are getting our kitchen renovated in 8 months and I can't wait. I am thinking I may just want to upgrade my fridge so my magnets will have to find a new home. Out of reach of everyone in my house. Especially my husband.

4 comments:

  1. My awesome fridge has a reflective glossy front. Yeah, I bought it before kids.

    Now, it has scratches and marks - thanks to our leap frog alphabet magnets ;) oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have those little magnet letters that you could arrange to spell cute messages (mostly lude, dirty or suggestive ones bw hubby and I!). Now that we have a stainless fridge, the magnets won't stick and we must resort to dirty verbal exchanges instead. Why isn't stainless steel magnetic anyway??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I collect magnets from trips, too! And I have a stainless steel fridge, so they can't go on the front of the fridge, but the side is black and that is where my magnets are displayed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recognise a few of those magnets! Seems like a lifetime ago that you were choosing them (and your sparkly wedding jewellery!)We miss you guys so much, Fridays are still, and always will be, boring!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to write a comment!